Post By: Aleda
My lovely partner-in-blogging Kim and her husband recently got me a Cuisinart SmartStick Hand Blender for my birthday. When they came over for New Year’s Eve I thought I should put it to good use and so set my sights on a lovely potato leek soup. I love this soup. It’s easy. It’s filling. The ingredients are few, simple and cheap. Who could ask for more in a soup? Not me.
There are definitely variations to the recipe, which is always one of the great things about making soup, but I chose this super simple version from The Veggie Table:
- 2 T butter
- ¾ pound leeks, washed and sliced (white and light green parts)
- 1½ pounds potatoes, sliced or diced (peeling optional)
- 2 c vegetable stock (can just use a 15oz can of ready made stock)
- 2 c milk
- 1 t salt
- black pepper
- ½ T parsley, chopped
- Optional: my little add-on to the recipe was some shredded cheddar cheese, to taste.
- Sauté the leeks in butter over medium heat until limp, 8-10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stock, bring to a boil, lower heat, partially cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are completely soft, about 30 minutes. If there isn’t enough liquid, add more stock, water, or milk,* ½ c at a time.
- Stir in 2 c milk, salt, and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- You can serve the soup like this or put some or all of the soup in a blender or food processor for a smoother, heavier soup.
- Garnish with additional pepper and parsley and serve.
- May need salt & pepper to taste.
Aleda’s Note: I added the fresh shredded cheddar immediately after blending the soup because I am a cheese glutton. It was a good add, so good in fact that I added some more to my own bowl for garnish. Also, if you can get a hand-held blender, I highly recommend it. It makes cooking these types of soups among other things incredibly easy, and they aren’t overly expensive. A definite great addition to any kitchen. Thanks Kim & Jon!
This meal was so good and so easy, and also reheated over the stove really well the next day for leftovers. Enjoy!